151. The village chief dealt with land disputes and religious affairs. The war chief led the men in fighting during occasional conflicts that broke out with neighboring villages and directed the men in community building projects.
The word "disputes" is closest in meaning to which of following?
152. This had a considerable effect on cattle ranching, since the herds no longer had unrestricted use of the plains for grazing, and the fencing led to conflict between the farmers and the cattle ranchers.
The word "unrestricted" is closest in meaning to which of following?
153. The steel wires used are galvanized-coated with zinc to make them rustproof. The two wires that make up the line wire or cable are fed separately into a machine at one end. They leave it at the other end twisted together and barbed.
The word "fed" is closest in meaning to which of following?
154. The pressure exerted on the human body increases by 1 atmosphere for every 10 meters of depth in seawater, so that at 30 meters in seawater a diver is exposed to a pressure of about 4 atmospheres.
The words "exposed to" in line 6 are closest in meaning to
(A) leaving behind
(B) prepared for
(C) propelled by
(D) subjected to
155. Deep dives are less dangerous if helium is substituted for nitrogen, because under these pressures helium does not exert a similar narcotic effect.
The word "exert" is closest in meaning to which of following?
156. As a scuba diver descends, the pressure of nitrogen in the lungs increases. Nitrogen then diffuses from the lungs to the blood, and from the blood to body tissues.
The word "diffuses" is closest in meaning to which of following?
157. During ascent from a depth of 10 meters, the volume of air in the lungs will double because the air pressure at the surface is only half of what it was at 10 meters. This change in volume may cause the lungs to distend and even rupture.
The word "rupture" is closest in meaning to which of following?
158. In the twentieth century, electron microscopes have provided direct views of viruses and minuscule surface structures. The word "minuscule" is closest in meaning to which of following?
159. Unlike conventional electron microscopy, x-ray microscopy enables specimens to be kept in air and in water, which means that biological samples can be studied under conditions similar to their natural state.
The word "enables" is closest in meaning to which of following?
160. Because of the wavelength of the x-rays used, soft x-ray microscopes will never match the highest resolution possible with electron microscopes. Rather, their special properties will make possible investigations that will complement those performed with light-and electron-based instruments.
The word "Rather" is closest in meaning to which of following?